home

Wednesday 3 September 2014

‘I started stealing to cure a sickness on my tongue’

A 20-year-old robbery suspect, Olalekan Ajibola,
has relived his ordeal in the hands of a mob while
attempting to rob a resident of Mushin, a suburb of
Lagos, with a sharp axe.
According to police source, the suspect Ajibola on
Tuesday scaled the fence of a house situated at No.
9A Folarin Street, Oladipo off Mushin bus stop
Lagos and used an axe to tear the door net of a
resident, Paul Rotimi Ogungbe and attempted to rob
him at about 3:00am. Unfortunately, the landlord,
Mr. Ogungbe, jumped on the suspect and grabbed
him with his axe and began shouting Ole, Ole, Ole,
Ole buruku.
The surprise defence by the landlord surprised other
three members of the gang and they took to their
heels, abandoning their gang leader Ajibola to the
mercy of an irate mob who stormed the house and
dragged the suspect out into the street and beat him
to a pulp.
The lucky victim said: "There were four of them. They
tore my door net with axe and forced the door open. I
got up and with speed, I jumped on one with an axe
and grabbed him together with the axe while the rest
three members of his gang ran away.
However luck smiled on the suspect when the wife of
the victim noticed that the mob wanted to lynch him
with condemned motor tyres and she quickly sent
distress call to Olosan Police Anti-Robbery squad
who came on time and rescued and later transferred
him to the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS)
Lagos State Police Command for investigation.
During interrogation, the suspect confessed to
Superintendent Abba Kyari that it was the fifth time
his four-man gang operated in Mushin area and
attributed his arrest to heavy drinking of alcohol and
smoking of weeds suspected to be marijuana before
he went for robbery operation with his gang
members who operated with clear eyes and were able
to escape when the victim grabbed him and raised
alarm that attracted neighbours
Blaming his ordeal on his father's deficiency,he
said:" My father divorced my mother and the poor
woman found it difficult to take care of my education,
clothing and feeding. That made me to become an
armed robber. I was formerly a one-man pick pocket
before I recruited the other three members. It was
only my mother that used to take care of me to the
best of her ability and little income as a medicine
hawker in Ibadan. My father is from Foragory Area
between Oyinbo and Bariga in Lagos and a building
contractor. He abandoned my mother because she
had mental problem.
"She is a sickler, there was a time I had mental
problem because of smoking hard drug and I was
rehabilitated in a mental home.
"I learnt how to sell clothes at Dugbe Market near
Queen Cinema not from Ogunpa, Okepad Primary
School, Shama, Ibadan, Oyo State.
"I learnt to steal when I relocated to Oyingbo in
Lagos and graduated as an armed robber when I was
looking for enough money to cure the sickness
affecting my tongue. One Imole a buyer of stolen
goods is still owing me N150,000.00
Confirming the arrest, the Deputy Police Public
Relations Officer, an Assistant Superintendent of
Police (ASP) Lelma Kolle said the axe was recovered
and efforts are on to arrest the other three suspects at
large.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed in comments are
those of the comment writers alone and does not
reflect or represent the views of Somayina.

No comments: