home

Sunday 31 August 2014

How To Pick Your Hair Products; The Minimalist Way

Since I keep getting questions about how I decided on
which hair products were best for me, I thought it'd
be useful to have a post on this for those
transitioning or thinking about doing a big
chop. From the moment I made up my mind to stop
using chemicals to straighten my curls, I started
doing my research. I suggest you arm yourself with
information about your hair type, curl pattern and its
needs. From time to time I'll feature popular hair
gurus with different hair textures on here so you can
watch out for that.
I started out with only 3 products (shampoo,
conditioner and oil) that my stylist had tested on my
hair and seemed great at the time. The more I
understood my hair's needs, the more my product
stash slightly increased but I'm still not a junkie.
There's no point wasting money on things you will
stash for years and eventually discard.
Here are some tips:
* Find a great conditioner (preferably one that can be
used to co-wash and still be a great leave-in). This
cuts your buy in half.
* Find a great clarifying system (could be a clarifying
shampoo, or an ACV rinse or anything else that
works for you, it's worth trying them to find out
which works best for your hair). It is not enough to
just co-wash or moisturise, you will need to clarify so
your scalp and pores remain clean and fresh and you
get rid of a build-up of products in your hair.
* Find a great oil or moisturiser for your hair or both.
* For styling, you may need gels or styling/holding
creams depending on your hair type and the looks
you would like to achieve.
* Experiment with small samples. Most companies
offer samples for free or for a cheap price so you can
order or buy these and try them out. If a new product
is not enhancing you hair care system, give it away
or look for a product swap opportunity. These seem to
pop up a lot at local hair events.
* Don't do a massive product haul if you're a newbie
and are just starting out because you will spend a lot
of money. At that point you don't really know what
your hair will like or not, so get to know your hair
and get free samples as mentioned earlier. You're
better off with a tiny bottle of something you may use
again than a huge bottle of something you'll never
use again.
This doesn't have to be an overwhelming experience
that will cost you loss of income. Remember to be
prepared by arming yourself with information,
especially if you are a newbie. You don't need the
whole shop in your hair! :)

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed in comments are
those of the comment writers alone and does not
reflect or represent the views of Somayina.

No comments: