home

Sunday 24 August 2014

My marriage lasted for less than a month – Princess

Comedienne Princess Damilola has opened up once
again about her failed marriage, telling Punch that
her marriage lasted less than a month and she fell ill
and had to be hospitalized after her husband left her.
Excerpts from the interview below...

You didn't say what was wrong with you that
you had to be hospitalized?
But you already know. We thank the Lord. The most
important thing is that I am alive and better. I
appreciate life more. But this one you are asking, e
no reach make I sick? After my husband left after our
wedding, was it not enough reason for me to be sick?
Ah! The Lord is our strength.
Why are you making fun of this?
Ah! I am telling you the truth o. The truth is that we
all have challenges in our lives. I have always
believed that the challenge is not the issue but how
you get up and get over it. I was very down last year.
It was my low moment. But with the help of God and
the support of my family and friends, I am here now.
I am happy.

Are you no longer depressed?
I was never depressed. I reacted like every normal
human being would react if she embarks on a
lifetime journey and it doesn't go as she planned it.
But God has a reason for everything.

Are there times you wish you weren't a
celebrity especially when you are linked with
controversies?
The only time I felt bad about my fame was when my
marriage ended. I felt if I weren't this popular; people
wouldn't have talked about it. So many marriages
crash on a daily basis but you will not hear about
them. Some people have been married five times but
you will not hear their gist because they are not in the
eye of the public. People didn't know that the
marriage had broken up until December when I felt I
was strong enough to handle the publicity that it
generated.

Were you shocked with the kind of publicity it
generated?
I was shocked! People called me from all parts of the
world including China. Some people cried while
some people felt happy. Some guys said they were
happy my marriage ended. Some said they were not
happy that I even married the guy. Some said I looked
older than him. Some said my marriage shouldn't
have ended just like that. People talked and talked.
But the only time you know your marriage is
successful is when you live with your partner and
God calls one of you home. Marriage of 30 years can
still break up. It is a bad thing for a marriage to
breakup. So you can imagine the unhappiness the
parties involved would be going through. Nobody is
happy when his/her marriage ends. Some people see
me outside and ask, 'your marriage has ended, how
do you feel?' I will answer them that I am jumping up
or how else do they expect me to feel? Nonsense! A
comedian once said that 'complete' and 'finish'
appear to have the same meaning but they are not the
same. If you marry the right person, you are complete
but if you marry the wrong person, you are finished.

Were you in love with him in the first place?
I got married to somebody who I was in love with. At
that time, he also said he loved me. Unfortunately,

the marriage ended too soon.
Why?
It was due to irreconcilable differences. It is not a
thing of joy. I don't think we should celebrate
sadness and bad news. We should be more sensitive.
No marriage should end but peradventure it does,
don't make a mockery of that person. You are not
even mocking the person, you are mocking God.

Are you giving it another shot?
No! Me ke? Let us struggle first and make some
money. In any case, I think I should marry a Chinese
or an Indian. If many people agree that I should
marry a Chinese, then I will go ahead. But a
Japanese might be better. Japanese products are
strong and reliable.

Is your ex-husband still your friend?
I don't think you should call him my 'ex-husband'
because we were together for less than one month.
An ex- husband is somebody you marry and after
three years or more, you separate. Anyway, I don't
know where he is. We have moved on.

Are you happy?
I am happier now and I am better. I was happy
before, the only thing that got me sad was that the
marriage ended. I did one wedding and it didn't go
well and I am alive. I should thank God. A lot of
people lose their spouses just after a week of
marriage. As long as you are alive, have hope. If God
says I should marry again, I will follow His will. I
have made my own attempt, let God make His own. I
am sure he (ex-husband) is okay anywhere he is
anyway.

Wasn't the break-up your fault?
No. it wasn't my fault. I can't really say it was his
fault too. It was just irreconcilable differences. We
met and we were in love and we quickly got married.
Maybe we got married too quickly but I have seen
people who got married a month after they met and
the marriage lasted. Our own didn't work out. There
is no need to apportion blame.

Do you still believe in love?
I have always believed in fairy tales and a knight in
shining armour but my marriage didn't go that way
unfortunately.

There is usually a stigma associated with
women who are divorced, doesn't that bother
you?
Stigma ke? That was before. Men can afford to have
20 children from different women. If your wife is
abusing you and you cannot take it, my brother,
please take a walk. If your husband is abusing you,
take a walk. If it is like my own case that both of you
cannot agree, you also need to take a walk before
somebody wounds the other person. Death is final.
So it is better to take off before it degenerates into
death. I know somebody that separated from his wife
and years later, he came back and begged her and
they are back together. He, who fights and runs away
lives to fight another day. Don't die there.

So what if your husband comes back?
No o. But like I said; he, who fights and runs away,
lives to fight another day.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed in comments are
those of the comment writers alone and does not
reflect or represent the views of Somayina.

No comments: